Random Thoughts and Raves

Monday, September 18, 2006

Delta Burke, Leslie Jordan, Bruce Villanch, Gay Pride and a Letter

WOW! This weekend was OUT OF CONTROL busy. As I sit here on Monday morning thinking about it, it seems as though it was five days long instead of just two. At the beginning,

It was Gay Pride weekend here in Dallas and it got kicked off on Thursday night. Delta Burke, Leslie Jordan and the cast of Sordid Lives were all at S4 for Delta Burkes 50th b-day party. Of course, I HAD to go because after all its FREAKING SUSAN SUGARBAKER PEOPLE!!!! She looked fabulous and was incredibly gracious to stand for an hour and let the homos fawn all over her. But being a former, Miss Georgia World I am sure she was used to it. I met my friends and Randall and some of his friends out and to say the least SHOULD have gone home sooner because Friday morning came too early and was not welcomed at all.

FRIDAY

Work, work, work and then Ron calls me in his office and tells me that the Chamber of Commerce Board is taking Bruce Villanch to dinner and did I want to go?? UH YEAH!! There were 12 people going so it was a pretty intimate setting and we went to the Landmark Restaurant in The Melrose Hotel which is AWESOME!!! So I had to go buy new clothes, OF COURSE, because nothing that I already had would do. LOL.

I got ready and was wearing a black button down, dark jeans (new), cowboy boots, the BIG G belt which is my fave and a camel colored cotton blazer. Ron called mid "get ready" time and told me that I needed to meet him at a fashion design party at Stanley Korshak. So I was off to this party I knew nothing about but I looked fabulous so I was ready to roll. I show up and it is about 300 people all designers, models, or associates of the designers and I was in H-E-A-V-E-N. Surrounded by fabulous clothes, fabulous people, and a BEAUTIFUL store I was feeling good and looking great. We left there after the decision was made that I could not have the $4500 jacket and we headed to dinner.

Dinner was fabulous, Bruce Villanch and the rest of the party were all in great form and after a three hour dinner Ron and I went to meet my crew at S4. They were all celebrating PRIDE by the time that we got there, to put it gently. I walk in and Fitz who was HAMMERED, proceded to tell me for the next two hours how BAD I looked and that he hated everything about what I was wearing, of which my response to him was "If you don't get away from me, there is a very real chance that I am going to punch you in your throat" Needless to say he stayed away.

SATURDAY

Randall, some of his friends, and I all went to Six Flags for Gay Days. Now, I have never been a big rollercoaster buff but I had an AWESOME time. The thrill and andrenaline kept me pumped up until mid afternoon. By then, everyone was hot, tired and wanting a shower for sure. They dropped me off and I headed to my brother Davids for a dinner party and had a great time there laughing and carrying on with he and his partner and a couple of their friends. Naturally, it was back to the bar for Saturday evening festivities.

One word:packed. That bar was packed. Honey, queens were crawling out of the woodwork. I ran into a buddy of mine from college and we wound up catching up for a lot of the night. About 3 that morning I poured myself into bed hoping on some much needed sleep.

SUNDAY

After waking up at 11. LOL. My college buddy, Michael, called and came to hang and head to the parade with me and my friends. We went to the strip and prepared ourselves for a wet time. It was pouring and let me tell you this, after months of not having it, how is mother nature gonna be a bitch and rain on the Gay Pride Parade. But, lemme tell you what, a little rain will NOT get in the way of thousands of gay people celebrating our lives. That parade went off without a hitch and it was a SIGHT for sure. Naturally, I discovered that I am the gayest person ever because the beads that I caught were the rainbow. I would just grab what they threw and not pay attention. By the end of the parade a friend of mine said, GURL only you would coordinate your beads to the gay pride flag. LOL. It was true, however unintentional.

It was a great time had by all and it was interesting and refreshing to see the gay community come out and celebrate as ONE unit instead of being a bunch of bitchy groups talking about other people. Its awesome to see the amount of pride that this community has and I was in awe for a very breif moment when I thought about how much things have changed over the past couple of decades for gay people.

With all of that said, I got something on Friday that brought me to the brink of tears. In todays world of instant email and text messaging, its rare that I get anything but bills in the mail. On Friday, I got a postcard, a real put the stamp on it and give it to the USPS to deliver postcard from a wonderful friend in Little Rock. It touched my heart and gave me such a great feeling about her and how wonderful of a person she is. She reads this blog religiously to keep up with my life and I wanted to give her a special note and let her know, you are a ray of sunshine in an otherwise cloudy world. No matter what I do or where I go, I love you and I my dear am a better person for knowing you.

1 Comments:

At 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved hearing about your weekend and was blown over by the end when you mentioned my card. Things have been crazy and I feel so guilty for sketching out on you but I knew you'd understand. I love you all over - you make me happy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home