Random Thoughts and Raves

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Bring back the FIRST WHITNEY!!!!


As I sit at my desk working away (blog written while eating lunch, not to worry bossman) listening to Whitney Houstons greatest hits I have to wonder. Where did it all go wrong Whitney??

In the 80's, I was a mere child, BUT Whitney was at the TOP of her career. Her singles were climbing to number 1 one right after the other and she was in the prime of her widly successful career. She never had to tour because of the immense success of her albums. She quickly became one of the top selling artists of her time. She had it all. A beautiful voice, an incredible career, and only the future to look forward to.





Running parallel with her in the 80s was her soon to be husband Bobby Brown. The preverbial "bad boy" of 80s R&B he release soothing hits such as "Roni" and "My Perogative". I remember riding in my friend Belindas tan Honda Accord going towards Conway wondering what he meant in My Perogative when he said, "Don't get me wrong, I'm really not SOUP". I didn't know and as I remember this confused her too. LOL.

Anyway these two stars would eventually cross and begin down a path of arrests, drugs, reality TV shows, and SNL sketches about them. I don't know if you watch Mad TV but you SHOULD because they have the most hysterical sketches of Bobby and Whitney. For some reason, Whitney is always sweating wildy and sniffing. HE HE HE HE!!!

On the subject of TV shows, if you get a chance to catch Being Bobby Brown on A&E you should amuse yourself and watch it if only for a few minutes. It is quite obvious that Whitney is slowly losing her mind and she is more on drugs now than ever. She refuses to be pictured with people and she is always sweating and her hair looks incredibly greasy. Looks like a victim of the nose candy if I have ever seen one. Most amusing is Whitney's catch phrase "hell to the NAH!!"

How the mighty have fallen. I can't say that I don't think Bobby somewhat responsible for Whitneys fall from grace. She was a good church going girl when she started and he was the bad boy telling people to leave him alone when he was miking on the microphone and not to call him Freddy. Now as I listen to these songs again, his lyrics weren't all that clever. Hmmm. Why when you are in your teens did he seem to be an R&B genius??

My suggestion for those hardcore Whitney fans? Want to bring her back to her previous glory? Buy her best hits album and remember the days of yore when crack really was whack, *sniff, sniff*, and she was the Queen of Pop.

1 Comments:

At 2:19 AM, Blogger ninjapoodles said...

Ack, you're going to have to set up word verification to keep out the comment spam.

"Being Bobby Brown" is painful to me. His entire family treats him like a joke, and he introduces himself as "Whitney Houston's husband.

Whitney is crzy as a bessie-bug, and there won't be any more musyc from her, I don't think. She appears to have ruined her voice with drugs and especially cigarettes. It certainly won't even be what it once was.

And hey, Bobby Brown was cool. We loved him. And a point--I'm really not SOUP makes every bit as much sense as the actual lyric: I'm really not ZOOPED. Zooped?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home