Random Thoughts and Raves

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Concern.....

Tonight was different than any other night. I came home, ate dinner, watched the mind numbiling stupid TV show, "My Very Own...." on MTV and logged on to the net to check my mail and read the goings on of the world.

The first headline I see is this....

Nazi items in home of alleged gay bar attacker

Apparently last night an 18 year old kid walked into a quiet gay bar in New Bedrod, Mass, ordered a rum on the rocks, ewww, and then attacked two guys playing pool in the back of the bar. He didn't just attack them, he attacked them with a hachet, a machette, and shot two people. Three people were injured all of them in the hospital, one in critical condition.

The kid was obviously part of some sort of Nazi regime that is local there just south of Boston. They found pro-Nazi posters and paraphenalia in his room when they searched it. He is yet to be caught.

In the four years that I have been out I have never felt insecure about my being in a gay bar or being in public and being recognized as gay. I guess that I have lived in a very secure and sheltered world. One in which these kinds of things don't happen, one that the people in that bar lived in until yesterday.

I should have been more concerned before this incident. A bar that I used to frequent when I was in college was set fire to and presumed to be a hate crime. For the life of me I will never be able to understand this type of hatred for gay people or any other minority in this world.

I worry about the future of our country and the world that the gay people of 2030 will have to live in. I hope for the best and think how much more advanced this country will hopefully be by then but then something like this happens and dashes those hopes because for every advance that is made, there will always be an 18 year old kid whose parents don't pay attention to their friends that will do something like this. My thoughts are with those that were injured and their families. I will hope for a speedy recovery.

1 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Blogger HS said...

That picture was taken on Duvall Street in Key West! LOVE IT!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home