Random Thoughts and Raves

Monday, February 13, 2006

RISE UP SINGLES, AGAINST THE ANTI-HOLIDAY




I know its been done and it is SO cliche but I hate valentines day.Call me negative, call me bitter, hateful, mean, cruel. Call me whatever you want to call me. I do not like Valentines Day. Wait....I LOATHE the holiday. It's not even really a holiday. It is the anti-holiday. Its the day that the people at Hallmark got together with the people at the Flower Store and said lets trick the American public.


I have never been a big fan of it in the first place, much less now, when I am single and fabulous. Of course, I have mostly been single on the anti-holiday so there was never really a reason for me to enjoy it. In fact, its a made up anti-holiday to make single people feel like they are less than their attached counterparts.

I went in Kroger today and it was everywhere. Big red heart shaped balloons, roses, flowers of all kinds littered the shelfs and any surface that would stand still long enough to hold the displays. I had to pay attention to nothing but my pound of roasted turkey breast and my credit card until I was in the safety of my Valentines Free Zone Nissan. Sadly, even it is red. SEE!!!! I can't escape it.

Sure, I would love to have someone to share my love with on a particular day but even in elementary school it was a torturous holiday. You made your little Valentines mailboxes and handed out your cards and then went back to your desk and read them all. Well, it could be torturous depending on if that hottie with the New Kids lunchbox was putting a Valentine in your box or not.

I strongly considered staying in bed tomorrow and listening to Marilyn Manson but seeing as how that would qualify me for the gold medal in the Bitterness Games, I have elected to not do that. Therefore, I will get up tomorrow and wear a red shirt and participate in the holiday that makes me hate being single. But really what is so wrong with being single? Nothing. Nothing at all. In fact, I am changing my viewpoint of the holiday as I write this. I am going to be my own Valentine. I am going to take myself to dinner and enjoy the quiet and solitude of being by myself. No need to make meaningless conversation, just sit,watch and communicate with myself.

Note to reader: Never approach the single dining alone on Valentines Day. They are likely to explode and cuss you out for no apparent reason. Please don't look, stare, point, or in anyway draw attention to them. They can be a dangerous creature capable of much destruction and mayhem when provoked. By provoked I mean basically any action of any kind.

If you are supposed to be with the one you love on Valentines Day then I will be, I can't imagine being with a person I love more than myself.

Well maybe Tom Ford.......

Oh, he is so hot.

ANYWAY, back to the rave.

I am still decreeing that I am going to start a holiday called "Being Single Is Fabulous Day". Anyone, who wants to participate can celebrate the day with me and my single friends. It will be held on April 9th and we are all going to get together and drink wine and talk about how fabulous it is to be single.

YEAH FOR BEING SINGLE IS FABULOUS DAY!!!!

authors note: No people in relationships were harmed during the creation and/or reading of this message.

My name is Britt and I approve of this message!

Blog paid for by the singles against Valentines Day Fund.

3 Comments:

At 5:32 PM, Blogger Robby Johnson said...

How now, brown cow?

Just remember, "love is a bird, she needs to fly."

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Virginia Gal said...

Bopped over from Tony's blog - this is hilarious, thanks for making me laugh. Post Valentine's day and being treated like crap by the guy I like has made me acutely depressed. I agree this holiday is shoved down our throat, am I loser for being single? God I hope not.
ps - I loved (still do) New Kids on the Block (but I was definitely not a hottie in school)!

 
At 4:23 AM, Blogger ninjapoodles said...

I'll be too distracted in March trying to make my husband forget about the new holiday invented in response to V-Day,on March 14th. You'll have to Google it, because I'm not saying. It involves steak and...something else.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home