Random Thoughts and Raves

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Beige

Okay, a month after the possible love of my life and I broke up I went on a date. Here is where it gets tricky. Number 1, I did not consider it a date. We have hung out a couple of times before, WAY before, like a year and a half ago and it wasn't all that fun then but I figured that I would give him another chance. At this point in my life, I am looking for ONE thing, friends. I don't need a boyfriend and truly don't really want one. For a variety of reasons. I am not ready. That being the most important one. But my brain needs some distraction every now and then.

He had commented that he was not as technically savy as it apparently takes to hook up the TiVo, DVD, CD, surround sound business that seems to inhabit everyones TV cabinets these days, so I told him that I would hook it up for him, having done this several times before. Last night, he calls and I agree to go over there and hang out and help him hook up said stereo business. This is where it got sort of odd. I show up at 8pm (remember I am old now and MUST be in bed by 1030 at the LATEST) and hear the vacumn running inside his apartment. Keep in mind that one hour ago he told me to come over. Vacumn running, I decide to not knock at this point because he wouldn't hear it. So I stand outside of his apartment, sort of looking like a stalker, albeit a well dressed one, but still a stalker. After about 5 minutes of waiting, vacumn cleaner is turned off and I knock, only to be greeted by apparently MORE vacumning. Again, more waiting and stalker like existance. Finally, I knock and he answers.

Him:

I didn't think that you would get here that fast.

Me:

You told me to be here at 8 (it is now 8:15)

Him: I haven't even showered yet, so sit down, I will be right back.

Luckily, like me he is a car fanatic so I sat down and read the latest Motor Trend for 30 minutes. Which was fine with me because I hadn't read that issue and I like to keep abreast of the latest developments. Finally, he comes out and says, are you hungry, do want to get something to eat. At his point it is almost 9 oclock. I ate at 630. No, I am not hungry. He is, so I agree to go to have a drink while he eats. We go to a Fridays right around the corner and I order a draft beer (I know I am not supposed to be drinking for a week but I could tell this was necessary to get through this evening) as does he along with a Dr. pepper. Strange but whatever. He then informs me that he is a lightweight and can't drink more than two beers without being drunk. Yes. I learned that.

After being there for two hours, (11pm at this point), and he finally finishing the draft beer

Me:

Alright kid, I gotta go home.

Him:

Why?

Me:

I have to be at work at 830 and it is close to midnight, I am not used to staying up this late

So we leave but not before he almost falls down getting out of the booth and turns and hands me his car keys informing me that he was too drunk to drive. Fantastic.

I get us both in the car and back to his apartment. I am ready to bolt at any point. He looks at me, BIG puppy dog eyes

Him:

So you are gonna leave right now (meaning at the current time of 11:35)?

Me:

Yeah

Him: Oh, I thought you might want to stay the night?

WHAT?!?!?!?!?! Are you JOKING? We went to dinner and you got drunk off of ONE draft beer and I am expected to swoon? I think not my friend. I saw that glint in his eye too. He wanted the sex and I was NOT gonna give it up.

Me:

Nah, I gotta get home and plus, I am not ready for that. I just got out of a relationship and I thought that we agreed this was a friendly thing.

Him:

Oh YEAH, right, okay, well.....

So I hug him, thank him for my beer (that did not get me drunk) and get in my car and head home to get immediately in the bed. So, on a Monday night I crawl into bed at close to 12. Pissed. All I can say was that it was beige, he was, I was, the food was, everything was beige.

Damn.

3 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Blogger ninjapoodles said...

In my head, you are still 10 years old at MOST. You cannot say "sex" or "the sex" in this space where I might read it. It makes my teeth hurt. I'm still upset that you're drinking. You are a CHILD, do you hear me? I did not authorize you growing up and/or having an autonomous life of your own! Argh. Feeling my own mortality.

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Tony said...

You prude!
You could have hit it THEN gone home! He was practically GIVING it to you. ;-)

j/k

You did the right thing, kiddo.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Maidy said...

Old!?!?!? Good grief, that makes me a fossil!

If you didn't feel comfortable, you did the right thing by telling him up front. If he is any kind of gentleman, he'll understand.

Beige? Is that a Southern or Texan thing? I'm dense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home